Mercy Medical Center in Oshkosh is celebrating 125 Years
Between now and the final celebration in September, we will share some stories and facts to show how far we have come in furthering the vision of the initial Sisters.
Early Improvements in Surgical Sanitation goes all the way to Rome
In the 1890s, urged by Dr. Oviatt (the star surgeon at St Mary’s Hospital in Oshkosh), The Sisters get special permission from The Vatican in Rome to wear a modified habit in the operating room, as the Sisters’ standard wool habits and veils posed a sanitation issue for surgical cleanliness.
“Armed with a letter from Dr Oviatt, Sr. Cornelia gained the blessing of Pope Leo XIII for the change in habit and the admonition to follow Dr Oviatt’s suggestions as they were made. Pope Leo blessed a gold medal and sent it to Dr Oviatt, a declared agnostic, to seal the approval. The doctor wore the medal on his watch chain for the remainder of his life.”
– Sr. Mary Josue in History of St. Mary’s Home for the Aged and Mercy Hospital 1891 -1976.
Read more about History of Mercy Medical Center in Oshkosh, WI :
History of St. Mary's Home for the Aged and Mercy Hospital 1891-1976 (pdf) by Sr. Mary Josue, written in 1976.
These short articles appeared in Jeremy Normington-Slay's Friday News & Notes emails sent out to all Mercy employees in 2016. The historical and Archival Material was provided by Michele Matucheski, Librarian and Archivist at Mercy Medical Center.